- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups sweet tea
- 6 (1-inch thick) bone-in pork chops
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups finely crushed BBQ flavored kettle chips (like, pulverize them)
- 2 cups finely crushed Salt & Vinegar flavored kettle chips (get angry!)
1. Brine the chops. Add the salt to the tea and heat the tea up in the microwave or on the stove just enough to dissolve the salt. Allow the brine to completely cool then add the pork chops to a re-sealable plastic bag and pour the brine over them. Press the air out, seal and refrigerate 6-8 hours.
2. Make the sauce. In a medium pot on medium heat, add the sugar, ketchup, shallots, a pinch of salt and a hefty amount of coarse ground black pepper. Stir and simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens. Set aside, but keep warm.
3. Grill the chops. Remove the pork chops from the brine and pat dry. Season the chops on all sides with a pinch of salt and pepper. Rest until room temperature, up to 2 hours. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Place the chops on the grill and cook until the pork chops release from the grill, about 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for another 4-5 minutes. If using a grill pan, be sure to do in batches so you don’t steam the chops.
4. Dunk, dredge and serve. Mix the chips in a shallow dish. Once the chops are done, immediately dunk them in the sauce then press all sides (don’t forget the fat rim!) in the kettle chip mixture. Serve immediately.