- 1/2 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 pounds chicken wings
Combine the habanero, soy sauce, honey, both sugars, fennel seeds, cayenne, allspice, thyme, ginger, garlic and scallions in a blender.
Add the vinegar, lime juice and orange juice and blend until smooth.
Place the wings in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over them.
Seal and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Remove the wings from the bag, place on the lined sheets and bake 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring the marinade to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes.
Remove the wings from the oven and brush with the glaze.
Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and continue to bake until the wings are cooked through, 20 more minutes.
Photograph by Con Poulos