- 1 pound spinach and cheese tortellini, cooked according to instructions on package
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onions
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 16 fresh sage leaves, cut in thirds across the length
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated on a rasp
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish, optional
1. Cook the onions: In a large sauté pan on low add the butter, oil, onions, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook while occasionally stirring until onions are tender and slightly caramelized on the edges, about 10 minutes. Stir in the sage, garlic, and pecans. Continue to cook on low while stirring until the sage leaves darken from soaking up the fat in the pan and they become slightly crispy, about 8 more minutes.
2. Toss and finish: Raise the pan to medium high heat and add the cooked tortellini and lemon zest. Toss to combine and coat allowing the tortellini to cook in the heat of the pan a few minutes more. Serve hot with a sprinkle of cheese (optional).