- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon file gumbo powder, plus extra for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can tomato paste
- 5 cups seafood stock (or 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice)
- 1 pound haddock, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound shrimp, shells removed, deveined
- 12 oysters
- 1 1/2 cups lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 cups cooked rice
Heat butter and oil in a 6 to 7-quart stock pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, celery, pepper, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelized.
Add gumbo powder, bay leaf, cayenne, paprika, salt, thyme, oregano and pepper and continue cooking, another minute.
Add tomato paste and cook until it browns, another 4 minutes.
Add seafood stock, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Right before serving, add haddock and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, then add remaining seafood.
Cook another 5 minutes. Add hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve over rice and sprinkle with file powder.